Retail Grocery & Natural Food
As a pioneer of healthy eating, Chef Steve Petusevsky played an instrumental role in changing the way modern supermarkets look and feel—moving traditionally mayonnaise-laden chicken salads and monochromatic deep fried foods out of the deli in favor of artfully designed white platters piled high with fresh, globally inspired creations to take home.
A highly sought-after consultant and collaborator, Steve creates profitable, turnkey prepared food programs that are visually appealing, customer-centric and operationally sound. Every individual food service program is crafted with your customers’ and culture’s special needs in mind—from recipe creation to nutritional analysis, from concept development to marketing and merchandising.
Steve has served as Culinary Innovation consultant to many national retail supermarket and natural food market chains including Whole Foods Market, Lucky’s Markets, Alfalfas, Mariano’s, Roundy’s, Pick N Save, Fisher Island and Wild by Nature.
Spotlight: Roundy’s and Mariano’s Markets, Inc.
As director of Retail Culinary Innovation, Steve identified consumer dietary dynamics and created an entire food service program for 160 stores nationwide, totaling over $5,000,000 in weekly sales under several banners including Pick N Save, Metro Market, Rainbow Foods, Copps and Mariano’s Fresh Market.
- Created points of distinction from traditional supermarkets through progressive, trend-driven menu engineering.
- Developed “big picture” prepared foods and bakery strategy, with a thorough knowledge of gross margin economics of retail foods.
- Built mutually advantageous external business partnerships with production vendors and food suppliers to create internal benchmark menu items and prepared food and bakery mix strategies.
- Established a food culture within the company by fostering cohesive team orientation, interpersonal skills, communication and collaboration.
Spotlight: Whole Foods Market
As Executive Chef-Director of Creative Development, Steve devised innovative recipes, composed holiday and catering menus, and produced menu matrix programs, resulting in the re-landscape of food service nationally.
- Served as the organization’s media liaison-Chef spokesperson.
- Authored the Whole Foods Market Cookbook.
- Collaborated across the organization and with the marketing department to design and execute promotional strategies.
Spotlight: Market Salamander, LLC
As General Manger, Steve oversaw a highly successful turnkey build out and opening for a multilevel, “chef-in-residence” gourmet retail market.
- Created a unique, highly visible “Cooking School Theatre” used to operate a culinary cooking class series, designed to educate customers and enhance local and national branding.
- Managed overall operations across meat and seafood, open show kitchen, specialty, produce, bakery, wine cellar, catering, and corporate catering departments.
- Conceptualized and developed an exceptional menu, innovative recipes, and a product mix selection to deliver against short and long-term strategies.