Spotlight: Roundy’s and Mariano’s Markets, Inc.
As director of Retail Culinary Innovation, Steve identified consumer dietary dynamics and created an entire food service program for 160 stores nationwide, totaling over $5,000,000 in weekly sales under several banners including Pick N Save, Metro Market, Rainbow Foods, Copps and Mariano’s Fresh Market.
- Created points of distinction from traditional supermarkets through progressive, trend-driven menu engineering.
- Developed “big picture” prepared foods and bakery strategy, with a thorough knowledge of gross margin economics of retail foods.
- Built mutually advantageous external business partnerships with production vendors and food suppliers to create internal benchmark menu items and prepared food and bakery mix strategies.
- Established a food culture within the company by fostering cohesive team orientation, interpersonal skills, communication and collaboration.
Spotlight: Whole Foods Market
As Executive Chef-Director of Creative Development, Steve devised innovative recipes, composed holiday and catering menus, and produced menu matrix programs, resulting in the re-landscape of food service nationally.
- Served as the organization’s media liaison-Chef spokesperson.
- Authored the Whole Foods Market Cookbook.
- Collaborated across the organization and with the marketing department to design and execute promotional strategies.
Spotlight: Market Salamander, LLC
As General Manger, Steve oversaw a highly successful turnkey build out and opening for a multilevel, “chef-in-residence” gourmet retail market.
- Created a unique, highly visible “Cooking School Theatre” used to operate a culinary cooking class series, designed to educate customers and enhance local and national branding.
- Managed overall operations across meat and seafood, open show kitchen, specialty, produce, bakery, wine cellar, catering, and corporate catering departments.
- Conceptualized and developed an exceptional menu, innovative recipes, and a product mix selection to deliver against short and long-term strategies.